[meteorite-list] Tribal Group Sale of Fragments

From: 1340659 <1340659_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:54:03 2004

------=_NextPart_000_00FB_01C1B19C.2A074AA0

Dear List,=20

I live in the same county that this came from. I have not seen or heard =
of any proof by any of the Indian tribes that used to inhabit the area =
(which are several), that they were even aware of its existence, until =
the big rusty hulk made its d=E9but in the local papers because of the =
dispute over who owned it a hundred years ago. None of the Indian tribes =
voiced any concern at that time or came forward to claim it, that I am =
aware of.=20

Remember this is Western Oregon, where it rains 30 to 60 inches a year. =
When the meteorite was first found 100 years ago was covered in a thick =
layer of rust, and indeed about 20% of its mass had rusted away and you =
can still find oxidized fragments at the site today.

I believe the Indian groups would be hard pressed to prove or even show =
that they ever actually had any sacred or any other type of connection =
with the meteorite. And this undoubtedly is why they haven't been =
successful in having the main body in the American Museum returned =
Oregon.=20

Unlike the Cape York or other meteorites, there was no evidence any =
visitation by humans, such as any chunks being whacked off for use in =
arrow of spear points or any paint or other relics found on the =
meteorite or at the site.

But if they were aware of it, what did it really mean to them back 100 =
or 150 years ago? Who can say truthfully...probably just an interesting =
looking rock.=20

Gordon Trone

------=_NextPart_000_00FB_01C1B19C.2A074AA0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Dear List, </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>In response to Francis Graham and =
others about the=20
Willamette meteorite, I live in the same county that this came from. I =
have not=20
seen or heard of any&nbsp;proof by any of the Indian tribes that used to =
inhabit=20
the area (which are several), that they were even aware of its =
existence, until=20
the big rusty hulk made its d=E9but in the local papers because of the =
dispute=20
over who owned it a hundred years ago. None of the Indian tribes voiced =
any=20
concern at that time or came forward to claim it, that I am aware of.=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Remember this is Western Oregon, where =
it rains 30=20
to 60 inches a year.&nbsp;When the&nbsp;meteorite&nbsp;was first found =
100 years=20
ago was covered in a thick layer of rust, and indeed about 20% of its =
mass had=20
rusted away and you can still find oxidized fragments at the site=20
today.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I believe the Indian groups would be =
hard pressed=20
to prove or even show that they ever actually had any sacred or any =
other type=20
of &nbsp;connection with the meteorite. And this undoubtedly is why they =
haven't=20
been successful in having the main body in the American Museum returned =
Oregon.=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Unlike the Cape York or other =
meteorites, there was=20
no evidence any visitation by humans, such as any chunks being whacked =
off for=20
use in arrow of spear points or any paint or other relics found on the =
meteorite=20
or at the site.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>But&nbsp;if they were aware of it, what =
did it=20
really mean to them back 100 or 150 years ago? Who can say =
truthfully...probably=20
just an interesting looking rock. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Gordon Trone</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00FB_01C1B19C.2A074AA0--