[meteorite-list] New Finds

From: Treiman, Allan <Treiman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:54:04 2004

Rock 1 looks like a granite or granitic gneiss. The pink/orange
stuff would be alkali feldspar and the dark material would be
amphibole or pyroxene (difficult to tell from the photos) and
magnetite.

Rock 2 is impossible to tell, partly because the photos are fuzzy.
I've seen terrestrial anorthosites with that greenish gray color, which
comes from alteration minerals.

Rock 3 is a basalt, with original gas bubbles filled with other minerals,
probably calcite or dolomite (white), siderite (brown), and chlorite (dark
greenish).

  Yours.

  Allan

Allan H. Treiman