[meteorite-list] Re: Massachusetts sonic boom / bolide

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:54:04 2004

The PA Bolide fell in the most rugged and most densely
forested area of the East Coast. Because this was
widely reported in the media, it is no wonder that
there was no "recovery effort" attempted. The terrain
in Western Mass. isn't that hopeless. I wouldn't
discourage anyone from making an effort to track down
and interview any eyewitnesses in that area.

What was "pitiful" about the PA Bolide was the lack of
timely follow-up of interviewing eyewitnesses by local
field investigators. By the time I got to Central PA
(which was delayed an additional month because my
initial flight to PGH was on Sept. 11th!), the trail
was cold. But even then, I had no trouble finding many
eyewitnesses who heard the sonic boom. But only two
of these people had been interviewed by a qualified
field investigator.

My time there was very limited. But even in that
short period of time, I was able to place some
constraints on Peter Brown's preliminary satellite
data, which would have narrowed the possible fall
area. Had this been done earlier, while there was
some time before the onset of winter weather, it may
have produced some confidence at success and the
locals may have attempted to organize a recovery
effort.

My point is - if you're going to have any chance at
recovery, you have to jump on these events, hit the
ground running, with confidence, and with a positive
attitude that they CAN be successful.

Bob V.