[meteorite-list] Is This All Olivine

From: Dave Mouat <dmouat_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:54:05 2004

Mohamed
I'm not sure what you mean by the word "large" as in "Olivine is rarely found in
large sizes" but in ultramafic rock exposures (some classic localities in Oman,
by the way) we can find pure unserpentinized olivine in masses the size of the
Hoba meteorite (60 tons) and larger. We find entire mountains of serpentinized
to somewhat serpentinized olivine. So, the presence of olivine would not be
diagnostic of a meteoritic origin. Isotopic (and other chemical) analyses would
be diagnostic.
Dave