[meteorite-list] Science Fair Again. Sigh!!!!!

From: Tettenborn <tett_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:54:05 2004

Hello All,

Once again my budding scientist son has decided to work with meteorites in
his science fair. I am thrilled at this but I may have to donate a 1.2 gram
sample of Murchison.

He decided to study the effect of phosphate levels on the growth of algae
and was about to start when the latest issue of meteorite arrived. In it is
a wonderful article "Meteorites, and the Origins and Future of Life." In
the article the author describes tests where algae and plants are grown
using meteorite based soil samples. I showed this to Alex and he instantly
thought of doing such an experiment for his science fair project since he
already has the algae culture started.

Can anyone supply the chemical composition of Murchison? Paicularily
nutrient levels (phosphates etc.)

Can anyone supply other information regarding meteorites and the supporting
of tertestrial life?

And,... does anyone have about a gram of crumbs they are willing to sell? I
really want to keep my slice and would rather buy some smaller fragments to
smash up and use.

Thanks,

Mike Tettenborn
Owen Sound, Ontario