[meteorite-list] Re: 85 AD -2002 AD

From: Greg Redfern <gredfern_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:54:06 2004

Hello List,

   I need to correct the distance to the asteroid belt. The belt is located
between the orbits of Mars and Jupiter, and are especially concentrated into
a main belt 2.1 to 3.2 A.U. (A.U. = an astronomical unit, or 93,000,000
miles, which is the Earth's average distance from the Sun). So, with the
Earth at 1 A.U., the asteroid belt is located at 1.1 to 2.1 A.U. from Earth,
or 102,300,000 miles to 195,300,000 miles. With the work being put into
figuring out the original question I just wanted us to be a bit more
accurate with our starting data ;). Overall probably doesn't make much
difference other than providing a bit of knowledge to our collective.

Regards,
Greg Redfern
IMCA #5781