[meteorite-list] Mongolia -Gobi Desert

From: Paul Dudley <pdudley_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:54:06 2004

Don't get your hopes up. Mongolia doesn't allow exporting of any rocks or
natural materials. When we visited there they even confiscated a small bag
of Gobi Desert dune sand that my wife had collected.

Perhaps they would make exceptions with the proper permits, etc., but from
what I have heard, they are still very strict. Sometimes they allow museums
to remove materials for study, but they are still considered the property of
the Mongolian people, and it must eventually be returned.

I don't know if they have a formal meteorite policy, however. Maybe they
would see the export of meteorites as a revenue source. I suspect China
would be a better bet than Mongolia.
--Paul