[meteorite-list] A Rock in a Hard Place (Willamette Meteorite)

From: SSachs9056_at_aol.com <SSachs9056_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:54:07 2004

Robert and List,

I agree. And what's more, Gersh Kuntzman in his article writes:

"Two years ago, in a move that sent shockwaves through virtually no one
except the small community of meteorite collectors..."

My...my... how that seems to make us out as a bit petty and clannish.

Kuntzman also should realize that if it wasn't for this "small community"
many smaller museums would go begging for specimens. Some museum meteorite
collections do come from private collectors that have passed on, or at the
very least, have been made available to museums. But public interests seem
lie in dinosaurs, fossils, anything one can put a face on, or reduce to a
simplistic Saturday morning cartoon.

The article also comes across as a bit glib and cheeky to suit my tastes.

My two cents.

Steven L. Sachs