[meteorite-list] Re: Eagle Butte - "Dr." Schimpf and the Royal Tyrell Museu

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:54:08 2004

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C1BBA3.DB23BBA0

Hello All,

As I was saying about a week ago I have few samples of this meteorite I h=
ave just gotten I am willing to send out. I should probley look up Wass=
en's e-mail and see if he is interseted in looking at them. If someone h=
as it handy please send it to me and I will see what he thinks. Other th=
en that I am meeting with my Universtiy next week and maybe I can test th=
em in one of their labs. I'm really busy so I prefer to send them to Was=
son...who is kinda the metal expert...:-) I would just do a simple nickle=
 test....:-)

Here is information that was giving to me a couple months ago form the fi=
rst seller when they first started being sold. I think they are probley =
impactite but they look more like meteorite shale then the impactite in m=
y collection. He has also printed a little information sheet with the on=
es I received......

 =20
Eagle Butte Alberta, Canada =20
Lat. 49.70; Long: -110.58 Diam. (km): 19; Age (My): 65 +/-. The compositi=
on of the fragments are about 80%Fe and 20%Ni. Its between the Bearpaw a=
nd Oldman formations Cretaceous/Tertiary. I knew about the crater for yea=
rs, but figured it was only an impact blast crater until I met the landow=
ner who's property borders a part of the crater. I met him through my gr=
andfather, they used to ranch together in the old days. He has had lots =
of people ask for permission to explore the crater, but he turns them awa=
y. Government and Geologists, Paleontologist's alike tried getting permi=
ssion and were denied as well. I am one of the lucky ones I guess, I fou=
nd several fragments small and large. Who says it's what you know to get=
 anywhere in this world, It's who you know that will get you there. I am=
 permitted to enter his property and explore and collect as I please. No=
t to many large fragments were found but there are some buried deeper. D=
etectors go wild there. There are probably 100 or more collectors who ha=
ve the Eagle Butte specimens but only few sell them. I am probably the fi=
rst in this part of Alberta to sell mine. It is an Iron meteorite crater=
 though. All specimens are magnetic and quite heavy and others are heat g=
lazed. I am purchasing a scale soon to measure their weights and try to =
sell more. Check out my auctions and see what you think. I can sell or t=
rade some to you for a good deal if you interested.

Keith Crawford

Mark Bostick "The Big Collector"