[meteorite-list] Ground Penetrating Radar

From: Keith's _at_home <arizonakeith_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:54:10 2004

Hello Matt and list members

I worked with a crew in Arizona using Ground Penetrating Radar(GPR),
Locating manholes covers buried under 10' to 20' of earth after freeway
construction snafu.
GPR located all covers really fast and also showing original ground
trenching and different layers of back filling also shows up and pipe below
and water level in the pipe can be made out. Using to right frequency is
very important for size and deep of target, they can range from 2.5 meter in
depth can find small 2" size targets to 15 meters in depth may be can see a
6' object at that depth.
I don't think it will work on stony meteorites, but metal objects rings out
like a bells and are very easy to see, lots of reverberation(you see lot
repeated images under the object) It also works best in low moisture and
very low water table, will not see past the water table. also you can see
soil disturbances, as in impact craters covered over.
Noggin of Canada (Sensors & Software Inc) http://www.sensoft.on.ca/apps.htm
Makes a simple and low cost system, I think under $20,000 the prices are
coming down as more companies sell these for utility locations and so many
other uses.
I think the Brenham strewnfield and Glorieta Mountain strewnfield will pay
off big using this geophysical instrument and many others locations, I also
dream of using GPR for the Tucson meteorite. One problem comes up using GPR,
it can see deeper than most can dig, so looking deeper that 5' will add a
lot to the recovery afford.
I always thought this will work for metal meteorites, It only take someone
to puts the money and afford in to using it for meteorites.
What does the list think. Thanks for you time
Keith Vazquez
Chandler, Arizona.