[meteorite-list] Meteorite May Have Fallen In Maryland

From: Matson, Robert <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:54:11 2004

Hi Steve and List,

> I just spoke to Mrs. Pearce about the stone. They took it to
> the Smithsonian today and it turns out to be sandstone. They
> are very embarrassed and were sorry their friend from NASA
> called the media.

They have nothing to be embarrassed about -- the Pearce's did
exactly the right thing. They took the stone to progressively
more qualified experts, culminating with Dr. McCoy. Sure, it's
unfortunate that it wasn't recognized earlier as being terrestrial.
(Indeed, I suspect very few of us on this list would have had
trouble recognizing it as a meteorwrong.) It's a shame that
Dale and his boys had to drive from Baltimore to downtown D.C.
to get the bad news, but maybe they got to see some nice
meteorites while they were there.

> I am sending both their boys a meteorite so they aren't
> disappointed about the whole experience.

Good for you, Steve! I'll be happy to follow suit if you can
provide a mailing address. --Rob