[meteorite-list] Need a little help with suspected meteorwrong.....

From: Mark Miconi <mam602_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:55:39 2004

------=_NextPart_000_0065_01C194A2.637C7C40

A while back someone posted an alert about a guy in Texas selling a =
meteorwrong. Well I contacted the seller as he was told that it was a =
chondrite by a freiend of his and he was using the term all wrong.

He replied and thanked me for the info and the website I sent him =
to(Walters site I believe) as he realized he might not have real =
meteorites. He said in his auction and again in his email to me that he =
found these samples in an old creek bottom in Texas.

WELL today one of the samples showed up in my mailbox. It looks like a =
piece of rusted iron, however it is NOT magnetic in the least. It is =
very heavy, but even to my eyes there is no way this is the real thing.=20

I am looking for someone on the list that I can send this thing to for a =
more accurate assessment of what it might be. It is definitely not a =
meteorite, at least to me. But I would like to be nice enough to at =
least send this guy some idea of what it really is.

I will cover the postage to and from whomever, I have a digital camera =
and can send pictures, and would wish to return as much of the sample =
back to this guy. Seeing how I do not know this guy from Adam, I am not =
about to shell out any real funds to pay to have it tested, I figure =
there are enough of you with enough knowledge to ID this piece without =
it having to cost any of us to do so.

I did what we have all been talking about doing with sellers on Ebay =
with meteorwrongs...I sent him a nice letter, politely told him that it =
was possible the identification was wrong, sent him to one of the many =
websites offered by you all and HE DID PULL HIS AUCTIONS. He did =
surprise me with the sample though, I did not believe he would ever send =
it though he did mention he might, he did not seem to mean it at the =
time.

So who can help me out? I thank everyone in advance and hope we can at =
least educate one seller, it is a first step...we will never get =
everyone of the meterowrong sellers to do what this guy did, but I would =
like to at least offer him some info.

Thanks again and Bright Blessings to all...

Mark M.

------=_NextPart_000_0065_01C194A2.637C7C40

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>A while back someone posted an alert =
about a guy in=20
Texas selling a meteorwrong. Well I contacted the seller as he was told =
that it=20
was a chondrite by a freiend of his and he was using the term all=20
wrong.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>He replied and thanked me for the info =
and the=20
website I sent him to(Walters site I believe) as he realized he might =
not have=20
real meteorites. He said in his auction and again in his email to me =
that he=20
found these samples in an old creek bottom in Texas.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>WELL today one of the samples showed up =
in my=20
mailbox. It looks like a piece of rusted iron, however it is NOT =
magnetic in the=20
least. It is very heavy, but even to my eyes there is no way this is the =
real=20
thing. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I am looking for someone on the list =
that I can=20
send this thing to for a more accurate assessment of what it might be. =
It is=20
definitely not a meteorite, at least to me. But I would like to be nice =
enough=20
to at least send this guy some idea of what it really is.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I will cover the postage to and from =
whomever, I=20
have a digital camera and can send pictures, and would wish to return as =
much of=20
the sample back to this guy. Seeing how I do not know this guy from =
Adam, I am=20
not about to shell out any real funds to pay to have it tested, I figure =
there=20
are enough of you with enough knowledge to ID this piece without it =
having to=20
cost any of us to do so.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I did what we have all been talking =
about doing=20
with sellers on Ebay with meteorwrongs...I sent him a nice letter, =
politely told=20
him that it was possible the identification was wrong, sent him to one =
of the=20
many websites offered by you all and HE DID PULL HIS AUCTIONS. He did =
surprise=20
me with the sample though, I did not believe he would ever send it =
though he did=20
mention he might, he did not seem to mean it at the time.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>So who can help me out? I thank =
everyone in advance=20
and hope we can at least educate one seller, it is a first step...we =
will never=20
get everyone of the meterowrong sellers to do what this guy did, but I =
would=20
like to at least offer him some info.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks again and Bright Blessings to=20
all...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Mark M.</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0065_01C194A2.637C7C40--