[meteorite-list] RE: First Meteorite

From: Bob King <lakewind_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:55:39 2004

My first one was a ~1/2lb. Canyon Diablo from Bob Haag. I can
remember turning it over and over in my hand absorbing the fact
that it was visitor from space not of this Earth. Not long after I
bought a slice of Allende from Bob that smelled like gunpowder.
Still does. As long as we're getting nostalgic I fondly recall David
New's regularly mailed lists of meteorite specimens filled with
loving adjectives like "choice, lustrous, superb, brilliant, excellent,
rich and varied..." In the days before pictures on the Internet he
whipped up some fine descriptions for his offerings!
Cheers,
Bob King