[meteorite-list] My First Piece

From: Bernd Pauli HD <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:55:40 2004

Michael Farmer and Michael Casper wrote:

> Graham, email me your address and i'll double
> your collection for free! Mike Farmer

> Email me your address as well,
> I'll send ya a couple. xoxox, MC

Hello Mike, hello Michael, hello All!

First of all a resounding bravo from Germany
for this generous gift to Graham !!! So Santa
is still around :-)

At the age of 12, I started getting interested in astronomy which soon
turned into a life-long passion. But strangely enough, I used to skip
those pages in my astronomy books that dealt with meteors, comets,
and m e t e o r i t e s. One day, in the early eighties, I bought my
first moldavite from an Austrian dealer - a Mr. Zensinger, then an
Australasian tektite (an indochinite) at a mineral and gem shop in
Heidelberg, and, then my first "real" meteorite - a small, round, cut
and etched Mundrabilla slice about the size of a quarter from the
Zeitschels. Of course I still have this one to behold and to cherish.
But I still had not developed any special interest in meteorites - I
merely thought it was the proper thing to have for an amateur
astronomer.
A Canyon Diablo soon followed, then an Odessa, an Allende for about
$ 1.00/gr (!) and a Nuevo Mercurio for $ 1.00/gr (!) and from then on
I absolutely agree with Ron's fitting description of the situation: "By
that time, the disease had spread and was inoperable!" -- I had become
addicted to meteorites, I was on the hook and will probably stay there
for the rest of my life :-)

Bernd