[meteorite-list] My First Piece

From: Tracy Latimer <tracyl_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:55:40 2004

About a year and a half ago I decided to get my friends some really unique
Christmas gifts -- meteorites! (Don't ask me why; it was a weird impulse)
I had just been introduced to eBay, so I looked up meteorites, and lo and
behold, there were absolutely HUNDREDS of them for sale! I had no idea
there were so many different ones out there, and I could buy all of them
(I wish!) I bid on about a dozen of them, and won 3 or 4, from Dean and
Mike, as I recall. They all came in around the same time, so I don't know
which one was "first", but I'll give the nod to a tiny weathered Imilac
fragment I got from Mike.

BTW, I DID give my friends their meteorites for Christmas. No one got the
bug like I did, but it was still cool. The hard part was giving them up
to their new homes, not knowing if they were going to be as cherished as
they were in my collection. One of my friends got a tiny chip of Zagami.
He is a sci-fi nut, and loves it, because this will probably be as close
as he ever gets to the Red Planet. One for the good guys...

Tracy Latimer