[meteorite-list] Response to the minerally challenged or wasted band with

From: David Freeman <dfreeman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:55:42 2004

Dear M Yousef;

By the questions that you select to ask, and the method that you ask
them, it shows that you are NOT familiar with mineralogy as you should
be to be disputing others negative opinions of your "rocks".
Question # 1 silica deposition during reducing environments (desiccation
of silica suspended solution with deposit) will result in nice
crystals if they have the time and space to grow and will certainly grow
on the outside of a rock. Our mineralologic term of "vug" is for the
pockets where crystals grow on the outside of rocks inside of the
pocket. You should have known that. You have quartz crystals that
formed in pockets, they have to attach to something unless they are free
floaters like the herkimer New York "diamonds" which are a pretty name
for nice free floating quartz crystals found in gray matrix....basalt if
I am correct.

Question # 2
In the Eocene basin of which I am located, fossil wood, fishes, insects,
crocodilian, turtle fossils abound. Numerous localities where there is
a pocket...space...vug...and solution silica...aka...quartz in hydrous
suspension, and with a little time...wha-la, crystals will grow on
fossils. Not an uncommon thing for one in the field to see. I have
some nice dinosaur vertebrae with quartz crystals, even a triceratopcian
front leg bone portion with crystals attached. Oooh, Ahhh, Ohhh.
Question #3 and 4
Your "white stone" should be tested with an acid to see if it is
calcite, dolomite, diorite, limestone or what. By the questions you
ask, you show your lack of understanding of common specimen testing
procedures. Hardness is nice but you obviously don't understand
hardness testing or you would abandon glass immediately as a standard
for testing your specimens with. A good file is hardness of 6 or 6.5,
try that, then a KNOWN quartz crystal. Glass is soft in the mineral
world, get a good set of standards that reflect the Mohs hardness scale,
then tell us in real terms what hardness your specimens are. Your
fingernail is hardness 1, it is like telling us your specimen can
scratch your fingernail. Not real bright. Your hardness for quartz is
7, and , that is harder than glass hardness 5 by not two times but by
ten times squared. The difference between corundum hardness 9 and
diamond hardness 10 is not 1 but TEN TIMES HARDER. Believe it, there are
some rare diamonds that are harder than 10, They are still diamonds but
are harder by virtue of the heat and pressure they endured during
formation and yet did not burn up or disintegrate.
You show your ignorance of the hardness subject by the questions you ask.
Question #5
Depending on the hardness of your specimen, and what it is, it could
have "thumbprints" from acid etching, weathering, mechanical weathering
(which I suspect happened as the cobble was rolled around with other
like rock). The crystal structure of many minerals help define
weathering characteristics and the occurrence of "thumbprints". Basalts
are not very hard rocks compared to granites, or even quartz family
rocks. Basalts are often even softer and weatherable than feldspars. I
deal in Nephrite jade which has a tough and fibrous cell structure and
it will at times have nice thumbprints, but is is not a very hard rock,
only 6 on the Mohs scale, still ten times harder than glass but soft for
gemstones and softer than 90 percent of the rocks out there.

At this point, I feel you need to get a geologist/mineralologist to
tutor you for a while, and then come back and tell us what you have
learned before you make any assumption of having a meteorite.
I suspect that other than quartz, you may have some olivine basalts or
more common basalt. Besides the quartz, they do look igneous, but are
cooled at depth and thus are not volcanic ejecta. Mother nature will
selectively move them around by weight and density as you say they are
arranged. Basaltic rocks will get a brown patina which is not unlike a
fusion crust, it is caused by the iron in the basalt, and by the
manganese in the rock as well. Basalts with minute elemental iron will
be attracted to a magnet and will set off a metal detector...aka "hot
rocks". You will find visible iron flakes in many iron rich olivine
basalts.

I strongly recommend that you get a copy of National Audubon Society
Field Guide to Rocks and Minerals and study it from front to back.
 Especially the back starting page 597, part two, A Guide to Rock
Identification. You are dealing with an area of plutonic and
sedimentary rock interfaces and probably may find some contact
metamorphic rocks there scattered around as well. I hope you will
pursue the Audobon Field Guide, it has a huge collection of mineral
pictures, and has pages and pages of mineral formation and rock
formation which you obviously do not completely understand as evidenced
by the questions that you do not ask...and the questions that you do.
Sincerely, geologically provoked,
Dave Freeman
Located in the middle of the Rocky Mountains, USA
Rock on Dudes...