[meteorite-list] So if it's not a meteorite how do I find out what it is?

From: Ralston <uncle_noah_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:55:44 2004

------=_NextPart_000_0028_01C19813.93736B60

Hi there,
My name is Noah, (first time writing on a list). I have joined, read, =
followed links and am starting to think that my strange find is indeed =
not a meteorite.

I found this rock when I was a child while digging in our back yard. I =
chipped a heavy egg-shaped stone with my pick. Under a 2mm black =
igneous layer there is a white claylike "layer". This may go all the =
way to the center or it may be a layer just above some incredible hidden =
treasure. My mother and I often examined it and imagined it to be a =
dinosaur egg fossil or perhaps even a meteorite! Years have gone by, =
the rock forgotten then rediscovered many times.

Curiosity has overcome me. I hope this curiosity wont kill the =
delightful mystery behind this rock. It has helped fuel my interested =
in astronomy and my dream vacation: meteorite hunting in a place like =
Antarctica. (But after following a few of you links I am learning how =
to do it here in Canada.)

So if it's not a meteorite how do I find out what it is?

Thanks,
Noah

------=_NextPart_000_0028_01C19813.93736B60

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Hi there,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>My name is Noah, (first time writing on a =
list).&nbsp; I have=20
joined, read, followed links and am starting to think that my strange=20
find&nbsp;is indeed not a meteorite.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I found this rock when I was a child while digging =
in our back=20
yard.&nbsp; I chipped&nbsp;a heavy&nbsp;egg-shaped stone with my =
pick.&nbsp;=20
Under a&nbsp;2mm&nbsp; black igneous&nbsp;layer&nbsp;there is a white=20
claylike&nbsp;"layer".&nbsp; This may go all the way to the center or it =

may&nbsp;be&nbsp;a layer just&nbsp;above some&nbsp;incredible hidden=20
treasure.&nbsp; My mother and I often examined it and imagined it to be =
a=20
dinosaur egg fossil or perhaps even a meteorite!&nbsp; Years have gone =
by, the=20
rock forgotten then rediscovered many times.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Curiosity has overcome me.&nbsp; I&nbsp;hope this=20
curiosity&nbsp;wont kill the delightful mystery behind this rock.&nbsp; =
It has=20
helped fuel my interested in astronomy and my dream vacation: meteorite =
hunting=20
in a place like Antarctica.&nbsp; (But after following a few of you =
links I am=20
learning how to do it here in Canada.)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>So if it's not a meteorite how do I find out what it =

is?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Thanks,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Noah</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0028_01C19813.93736B60--