[meteorite-list] Mohamed's Meteorwrongs/My trip to Eagle Station

From: Rhett Bourland <rbourlan_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:55:46 2004

I agree with the people that say it looks like calcite. Instead of going
out and trying to make all the rocks you find be meteorites maybe you should
try to look around at the local rock and figure out how the ones you find
match.
I went to Eagle Station Kentucky this summer to look for more of the
pallasite that was found there. My hunting partner (who received a crash
course in what to look for on the drive there) and I tried doing the time
honored tradition of talking to the locals and offering rewards for
meteorites as well as looking some ourselves. After spending the day there
we quickly came to a few conclusions. One, backwoods Kentucky is not a
place to go around asking people about strange rocks even if you're offering
to buy them. Two, its easy to get a speeding ticket there and their
computer systems will get confused and think that your car is stolen until
you present massive documentation showing otherwise. Three, that entire
region is either farmland owned by not very friendly farmers who don't like
outsiders on their land or heavy forest. Four, the coordinates that you see
for that meteorite take you to the center of town (if you want to call it
that) where there are mobile homes instead of shacks and not necessarily
exactly where it was found. Five, when you go to the nearest town's
newspaper office and ask to speak with a reporter so that you can get the
word out that you're paying very good money for these rocks they will look
at you like you have antennae growing out of your head. Six, people will
put electric fence up in the strangest places there like around the sign for
the Eagle Creek campground that I wanted to get a picture in front of.
Seven, how to recognize that fencing. Eight, what that fencing feels like
when you touch it. Nine, one of the most common rocks in that area is some
form of iron that will set off a metal detector and EASILY stick to a
magnet. They are also dark black on the outside and have unusual shapes.
My partner got pretty excited when after looking for just a few minutes he
found a rock that he thought could be part of the pallasite. After taking a
quick glance at it I could tell it wasn't. After searching for about half
an hour we figured out that almost all the rocks around there fit into that
description. Instead of thinking that we had found dozens of meteorites and
that we were rich we pretty quickly realized that the area was rich with
this type of rock which to the newcomer's eye would look like a meteorite.
I brought a couple home as souvenirs but still don't know exactly what they
are but do know what they are not.
My point is that when hunting meteorites learn the local rocks so you'll
know what really sticks out. My other point is that there's a good reason
why there has never been any more of this meteorite found since 1880 and
that there probably never will again.
Happy hunting,
Rhett Bourland
www.asteroidmodels.com