[meteorite-list] Astronomers Survey Sky For Big Asteroids

From: Sharkkb8_at_aol.com <Sharkkb8_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:55:46 2004

--part1_139.7bcc480.2974a5a3_boundary

> With an asteroid impact,
> you can go many years (perhaps centuries) before anyone get killed, but
> when it
> does happens, thousand or millions are killed at once.

I guess it's that last part that's bothering me. Since it has never happened
before, at least in recorded history with verifiable casualties, it seems
strange to me that one could narrow the odds down, having no data to base it
on. Accurate odds have to be based on observable data. Otherwise it's just
conjecture, somebody's best guess, which is fine too, as long as it's
identified as such.

Gregory

--part1_139.7bcc480.2974a5a3_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=2>
<BR>
<BR><BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">With an asteroid impact,
<BR>you can go many years (perhaps centuries) before anyone get killed, but when it
<BR>does happens, thousand or millions are killed at once. &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
<BR></FONT><FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BR></FONT><FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">
<BR>I guess it's that last part that's bothering me. &nbsp;Since it has never happened before, at least in recorded history with verifiable casualties, it seems strange to me that one could narrow the odds down, having no data to base it on. &nbsp;&nbsp;Accurate odds have to be based on observable data. &nbsp;Otherwise it's just conjecture, somebody's best guess, which is fine too, as long as it's identified as such.
<BR>
<BR>Gregory</FONT></HTML>

--part1_139.7bcc480.2974a5a3_boundary--