[meteorite-list] International Meteorite Collectors Association Part 2

From: meteorites_at_space.com <meteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:55:47 2004

Rhett, and all....

After visiting the site, I am thrilled by what I see.
I have been out of the loop for a while, and probably
for the better as I think that my imput might have
complicated things otherwise. I've been ill, and then
had to take my daughter back to college in Santa Fe.
But while there, I attempted to go the distance again
and try to find another extension of the Glorieta
strewnfield-- but the area was so snow covered that I
felt that I was climbing Mt. Everest!

It was hopeless... so guess I'll wait till things thaw
out a bit.

But again, hats off to Rhett and Ron and all the others
that have made IMCA possible.

And I love the title-- it kind of reminds me of the
original aborted idea going back almost 2 years ago.

IMRA--- remember-- International Meteorite Recovery
Association.

This is better. So much better.

It has started, and it is of merit to all of us and our
field of endeavor.

Now that I am back, I hope to be more involved in this,
but not so much as to hinder the spectacular results so
far achieved by all those so dedicated to see it come
to pass.

Steve Schoner, AMS
http://www.meteoritecollectors.org

On Sun, 13 January 2002, "Rhett Bourland" wrote

> Good evening everyone. I hope that this email finds
you all well. As you
> may remember the discussion from a few weeks ago
about forming an
> organization called the International Meteorite
Collectors Association. It
> died due to petty bickering but has come back. Ron
Hartman, Jim Hartman,
> Steve Schoner, Anne Black, Martin Horejsi and I have
been working since that
> time to get something together to fill the void that
everyone has said that
> we have with the lack of a formal association for
meteorite collectors and
> dealers and, personally speaking, I've think we've
done a damn good job
> doing it! Please check out the website that we've
put together at
> www.meteoritecollectors.org.
> The single purpose of this association is
AUTHENTICITY. That is, to make
> certain that ALL our members adhere to the highest
standards of meteorite
> identification, authenticity, and proper labeling
practices. This is done
> via "self monitoring". We, the membership, monitor
each others activities
> for accuracy, and it is every IMCA members
responsibility, and pleasure, to
> offer help and assistance to other members to assure
this accuracy occurs.
> What's to stop me from taking this down? The amount
of hard work that Jim
> Hartman and I have put into it. In the past month I
have sent and received
> well over 1,000 emails on the subject (both on lists
and off), dealt with
> dozens of people from eight countries on three
continents, spent good time
> getting the website up, making countless revisions to
the website, and
> arranging with Jim to have him produce and send out 2
separate logos (one
> that will conform to eBay regulations as well as a
larger one for your
> websites) to all the members of the group.
> That being said, everyone who joined up with the
initial incarnation is
> still a member unless they don't wish to be. If you
missed out then I would
> personally like to ask you to join up. Email me
privately and I will add
> you. To those of you who have received logos please
start using them and