[meteorite-list] Re: Two Hefty Asteroids Pass Close to Earth

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:55:47 2004

--- Ron Baalke <baalke_at_zagami.jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:

> I'm not sure why Reuters decided to do this article.
> It is not uncommon for asteroids to pass near Earth,
> and there was nothing special about these two that
> set them apart from the other NEOs.

Because it sells newspapers, and people (the buying
public) is a little more concerned about not getting
pummeled by the next piece of stuff from space than
they are about the latest possibilty that something
may have lived at sometime on Mars.

Look for the trend to continue, and as it does be
thankful Yeomans and JPL head the NASA NEO team, and
that Ames got the Mars life work.

EP