[meteorite-list] Vacations and meteorites

From: Tracy Latimer <tracyl_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:55:47 2004

My husband and I took a long-anticipated trip across the US this previous
fall by Amtrak. Part of the route we took went across some rather
desolate sections of the American Southwest, paralleling highways
intermittently. I started looking out the train windows to try and figure
out where we were on our journey by attempting to read the highway exit
signs as they went by. At dusk one day, I found us going by a large
outcrop of rock in an otherwise empty landscape. The highway sign nearby
said "Wagon Mound"; after a moment of thought, I said "Hey! That's where
a meteorite came from!" A couple of miles later, I saw an exit
sign for Roy, NM, also on my list.

Thanks to the good offices of List members and ebay, I now have pieces of
both of these meteorites. They are both meteorites and souvenirs of my
trip; how many times do you have something that does double duty like
that?

Tracy Latimer