[meteorite-list] CR2 prices ruin......

From: Michael Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:55:47 2004

Meteordealer wrote:
> Actually, the only prices being forced down tremendously are other
> Moroccan finds. Legitimate finds and falls have held steady with many
> steadily rising in price.....
> Brad Sampson
Brad and all,
        I must dissagree. PART of the "instability" is that some dealers who
really count on sales for a living are selling some of the old stuff -
at
low enough prices to get cash NOW. I have never seen such a thing.
But this does go on.
        For instance, I bought a VERY nice 2 gram Zagami
for $588 a few months back. It was a VERY good price at the time.
However, I made the mistake of not offering it for a couple of months.
When I finally did, I offered it at $600 and got no takers. I later
offered it at $500 and it sold and there were several who tried to get
it AFTER it sold. So, right when I got it I probably could have sold it
instantly for $750, but just a few months made a big difference.
        This is just one example. Zagami may well go UP in price equally as
fast, and I believe it will inevitably do so, it is just a question of
time.
However, to say, " Legitimate finds and falls have held steady with many
steadily rising in price.." is simply mistaken. They are NOT steady at
all.
        Now, I used to be the strongest advocate for "meteorites as an
investment." In fact, I never heard or read ANYONE say that before
I did. Ironically, I feel it is true now more than ever. HOWEVER, it has
gone from a "short term" to a "long term" investment FOR SURE. What
a price will be a week or month from now is not at all "stable"
regardless
of pedegree. However, in 2 to 10 years from now is, in my opinion,
a dramatic increase in prices is a slam dunk! Prices will go up VERY
quickly......at some point. We just have no way of knowing now when
that will be. But it SURE ain't "stable" now.
        (there ARE a few, but very few, exceptions: Canyon Diablo - they anin't
makin' any more of that stuff, the same with Camel Donga and other rare,
highly limited TKW materials and materials with a noted "history" -
killed a
horse, smashed a mailbox, etc.)
        Best wishes, Michael