[meteorite-list] CR2 prices ruin......

From: Meteordealer <meteor.dealer_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:55:47 2004

  What instability??? Most legitimate finds and falls ARE holding steady.
I'm a dealer. I compare the market prices of many meteorites on a daily
basis. Just about all of them i look at are the same price they've always
been or more. Zagami and Kapoeta are about the only ones i can think of that
have tanked. Mainly because at the time they were just about the only SNC
and Howardite you could get. People were willing to pay an arm and a leg to
get one so they could fill that hole in their collection, thus the inflated
price. Their price was based upon the rarity of the material. Now SNC's and
Howardite's are everywhere thus the novelty has worn off and the price has
gone down. As far as dealers "dumping" the old stuff to get cash doesn't
affect the retail value unless they unload a large percentage of the TKW.
Whoever buys it from them will most likely keep it or re-sell it for a
profit so in a sense the price will stay the same. The TKW of MOST
legitimate finds and falls is pretty well known so the supply isn't going to
go up and kill the value as it does with NWA's. If a farmer in Kansas plows
up a 10kg stone and a search is conducted yielding no further material, then
you could say the TKW is 10kg. A price per gram will be set on that material
based on the purchase price, the total mass, and the classification. You
don't have to worry about a nomad riding into town with another 100kg tied
to his camel. That is the reason MOST legitimate finds are fairly stable in
their price unless they are a VERY rare type.

Brad Sampson
meteor.dealer_at_gte.net