[meteorite-list] NWA CR2s

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:55:48 2004

------=_NextPart_001_0007_01C1A0D2.52370B80

Thought someone might be interested in this so I will take a minute to sp=
end on the CR2's. If Farmer could provide a map and all his information =
that would be nice (or anyone else). How about a webpage that compare th=
e classifications of the ones classified and such.......just a thought.
CR meteorites or Carbonaceous Renazzo type get their name from a meteorit=
e that fell in Emilia-Romagna, Italy on January 15th, 1824. Being a carbo=
naceous chondrite it is one of the most primitive meteorites that has bee=
n studied by science. They are believed to contain matter from the pre-so=
lar nebula. Like CM types, who CR where once part of, CR's contain about =
0.6 to 2.9% carbon and about 13% water. Most of these meteorites also con=
tain amino acids. The Murchison is a well studied meteorite in this class=
. CR meteorites differ from CM's as they also have clearly visible iron-n=
ickle. Light element stable isotope data from Artic finds Y-790112 and T-=
793495 show that the CR group is also highly varible in its isotopic char=
acter. =20
I was able to get three little complete CR'2's. One thing I find interes=
ting in this meteorite is it appears (to me) that the matric material had=
 a much lower melting point. One speciman I have has most of the matrix =
burned away leaving a chondrule suspended within little matrix. On some =
spots of crust this meteorite has round circle without crust...as if 95% =
of the matrix burned away before the chondrule fell out. Thats just how i=
t looks to me for whatever thats worth.

The armoured chondrules I have seen in several slices....really puzzle me=
. It is a 2 now.

I also applaud David and Dean for their efforts for collectors and scienc=
e. This si the perfect example on why NWA help everyone and that we all =
can work together to help everyone. I'll give Dean an extra plus since a=
ll his got seperate numbers. What I mean by this....he sold a complete C=
R2 NWA numbered meteorite for under $50!!!1 (The one that weighed like .=
6 or .7, which has to also be the smallest NWA I imagine as well). My po=
int here being he did not charge a premium. Good buy whoever got this li=
ttle meteorite!!!

I guess I will also be the first to give the nomads credit. First in fin=
ding it. Second in being smart enough to sell it to all the main buyers. =
 Dont think about too hard on this.

Mark