[meteorite-list] Re: Odessa Meteor Crater Sparks Interest

From: geoking_at_notkin.net <geoking_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:55:49 2004

Ron posted:

>For most of his life, Tom Rodman has been interested in a 50,000-year-old
>hole in the ground - the Odessa meteor crater.

Dear Ron:

Thanks for posting that interesting article.

I visited Odessa in 1998, while preparing an article about the
history of the crater ("The Odessa File," Meteorite magazine,
November 1998, Vol. 4, No. 4). Tom Rodman was one of the people I
interviewed for the story and, at that time, he spoke
enthusiastically about his hopes that a museum/visitor center might
one day be constructed on the site. Tom was very committed to
preserving the crater's remains, and -- since the old exhibit
building had been vandalized, and later closed -- visited the site
regularly to leave pamphlets for visitors, and to keep an eye on the
crater.

It's nice to see that his years of dedication have paid off, and that
a new Odessa Museum will finally be built.

Regards,

Geoff N.