[meteorite-list] The Truth: Meteorite Find Would Be Out Of This World

From: SSachs9056_at_aol.com <SSachs9056_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:55:50 2004

Hi Al, Matt, and List,
I have silently stood by and watched how this adverture would play out. I'm a
bit surprised that Rich has not revealed to the list or to the newspapers how
much of the information he used to "discover" the Plymouth meteorite or the
farm was from research I and another individual did back in the mid-90's.

To explain further: I had made a posting to this list about one year ago. In
that posting I had mentioned that I had been on a number of meteorite hunts,
including Homestead Iowa, Trenton Wisconsin, and Plymouth Indiana. The last
was the result of many months contacting the Plymouth Historical Society,
research in books, (Farrington's, etc) pouring over newspaper clips,
obtaining a Plymouth phone directory, and so forth. I had accumulated quite a
bit of information, and subsequently, myself and another meteorite collector,
Don Stimpson PhD, (who now owns the Kimberly farm where the Brenham meteorite
was found and bought it from Ellis Peck in the 1990's--with his wife Shelia)
took all of the information to Indiana and located the farm. As a side note,
one might find it interesting that Don re-created H.O. Stockwell's metal
detector, (the wheelbarrel shaped metal detector Mr. Stockwell used to find
specimen's of the Trenton meteorite and pieces of Brenham. My good friend and
fellow meteorite hunter, Rob Reisener who graduated from Univ. Of Mass., was
a friend of Bill Reed (now deceased). Bill once owned H.O. Stockwell's metal
detector. The original H.O. Stockwell metal detector is now owned by Rob. Rob
was also given by Bill a number of letters of coorespondence with H.O.
Stockwell. (makes for fascinating reading!)

At any rate. using my Garrett metal detector, and Don using his H.O.
Stockwell replica, we went over a portion of that Plymouth farm for a full
day in the mid 90's---but without success. Don and his wife Sheila, both were
research scientists at Abbott Labs and as mentioned earlier, moved to the
Kimberly farm. I have not stayed in touch with Don, so we never returned to
Indiana.

Which now brings me to the current---Rich contacted me off list and and asked
if I could help him locate the Plymouth Meteorite. I photocopied every bit of
information I had including the coordinates for the Plymouth Farm. I really
sincerely hope Rich finds this meteorite. Don and I had alot of fun looking
for it--and even the research I did was very rewarding, interesting, and
enjoyable to do. But I just thought the entire story should be told for list
members. Rich---if you're reading this, is there anything you want to add? My
best to you and to the list members. Now get that meteorite!

Steven L. Sachs