[meteorite-list] Vaccuum-Packed Campos

From: FERNLEA4_at_aol.com <FERNLEA4_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:55:51 2004

In a message dated 26/01/02 02:03:51 GMT Standard Time, martino.6_at_osu.edu
writes:

<< When they arrived I was surprised to see a small factory sealed package.
 No zip-lock style bag here. In fact, the meteorites are double bagged and
 clearly were vacuum-packed like ground coffee. Has anyone seen this before?
 I'm just curious now about the process and who might be doing it. >>

That might be me.
I ship most specimens in a clear plastic bag that's heat sealed at both ends
to ensure an airtight seal, often with a pouch of fresh dessicant. Sometimes,
the air is removed before sealing, giving a shrink-wrapped effect.
The bags arrive as a 50 metre flat tubing - we cut it to the right length,
then use a heat sealing machine to perfectly seal a strip at both ends.

<< I was going to sell the little campos for a couple of dollars each in the
gift shop of my observatory, but the bag looks so nifty I may not have the
heart to open it up! >>

I only intend the heat sealed bags/vacuum packing to keep everything fresh
during transit really, as the packing isn't always very pleasing to the eye.
I don't remember preparing any Campo's this way though, at least not recently.

Cheers,
Rob.
http://fernlea.tripod.com/forsale.html
Fernlea Meteorites,