[meteorite-list] Re: New Naklha Dog Evidence

From: Sterling K. Webb <kelly_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:55:52 2004

--------------F295DADA43580476C377148A

Hi, Ron and List,

    No ballistic experts (or even gun nuts) came forward to answer my question about how fast a
meteoritic fragment would have to traveling to penetrate a meter in loose sand. Reduced to just
guessing, I would say it would have to be hypersonic (like a rifle bullet). Hume's report of 30
centimeter penetration at El Nakhla could be reconciled if the soil there were more compact (like
clay).
    One of the accounts quoted somewhere in this long thread says the dog was "turned to ashes in an
instant." It seems to me that the more likely result of an hypersonic impact on a dog would be a wide
and uniform distribution of dogburger! I suspect that the observation of "ashes" was created by a
witness to match his interpretation of the event as "fire from Heaven."
    The value of eyewitness testimony is greatly reduced by the fact that the human brain re-writes
its immediate sense memory to better conform with its later interpretation of the events witnessed. A
classic witness experiment was to have a classroom of students "witness" (without advance warning) a
mock robbery in which the robber brandished a bright yellow banana while demanding money. The
"witnesses" all reported he had a gun or a "dark object" in his hand; no one reported a robber armed
with ripe fruit.
    In the case of observations of natural phenomena, a good example is historic descriptions of
lightening. From the earliest times up to around 1800 AD, lightening was always described (one
exception), where color is mentioned, as "red," or "red-orange." This holds true for all cultures:
ancient Hindu scripture, Babylonian tablets, the ancient Greeks, Romans, Middle Ages... In a search
yielding over 400 descriptions or references to lightening before 1800, I found only one (from Russia
c. 1050 AD) that called lightening "blue, blue-white, or white."
    Why "red" lightening? Because "everyone knows" that lightening is "fire" and fire is red. After
the discovery that lightening is an electrical discharge (Franklin), descriptions of lightening in
literature mutate over 2 to 5 decades to the more correct "blue, blue-white, white" description tags.
Does this mean that we are now "better" witnesses? No, it only means that the learned interpretation
that we impose on our sense impressions is more accurate. The editing mechanism remains the same for
most observers.
    An observation of "red" or "orange" lightening is possible at a distance in an atmosphere dirty
or dusty enough to produce strong scattering. Ironically, nowadays, there are those who will argue
that red lightening is impossible because "everyone knows" that lightening is blue or white!
    So, in interpreting "eyewitness" evidence, we have to deal with a situation in which some
witnesses may be accurate while it is likely that most are not, without knowing which is which. The
only solution (where there is enough evidence) is to sift all through a logic sieve as best we can.
In the case of the dog, more evidence would help (unlikely as we are to get it).
    For those who have a high stake in the animals-killed-by-meteorite question, specifically, the
question of whether it is possible or if there are well-attested accounts, look up The New York Times
for March 11, 1897. I quote:

     Parkersburg, West Virginia. March 10, 1897. A meteor burst over the town of New
     Martinsville yesterday. The noise of the explosion resembled that of a heavy artillery
     salute... When the meteor exploded, the fragments flew in all directions, like a volcanic
     upheaval, and solid walls were pierced by the fragments. David Leisure was knocked down by
     the force of the air caused by the rapidity with which the body passed before it broke. The
     blow rendered him unconscious. One horse had its head crushed and nearly torn from the
     trunk by a fragment of the meteor, and another horse in the next stall was discovered to be
     stone-deaf.

    I would call that a reasonably consistent and probably accurate account of an animal death by
meteorite. There are no details in this report that I would quarrel with as unlikely or invented or
too imaginative to be true. And The New York Times does have a pretty good reputation for a
journalistic yellow rag!

Sterling K. Webb
Ron Baalke wrote:

> [...]

or references to lightening before 1800, I found only one (from Russia
c. 1050 AD) that called lightening "blue, blue-white, or white."
lightening is "fire" and fire is red. After the discovery that lightening
is an electrical discharge (Franklin), descriptions of lightening in literature
mutate over 2 to 5 decades to the more correct "blue, blue-white, white"
description tags. Does this mean that we are now "better" witnesses? No,
it only means that the learned interpretation that we impose on our sense
impressions is more accurate. The editing mechanism remains the same for
most observers.
possible at a distance in an atmosphere dirty or dusty enough to produce
strong scattering. Ironically, nowadays, there are those who will argue
that red lightening is impossible because "everyone knows" that lightening
to deal with a situation in which some witnesses <i>may </i>be accurate
while it is likely that <i>most </i>are not, without knowing which is which.
The only solution (where there is enough evidence) is to sift all through
a logic sieve as best we can. In the case of the dog, more evidence would
help (unlikely as we are to get it).
question, specifically, the question of whether it is possible or if there
are well-attested accounts, look up
<i>The New York Times </i>for March
11, 1897. I quote:
over the town of New Martinsville yesterday. The noise of the explosion
resembled that of a heavy artillery salute... When the meteor exploded,
the fragments flew in all directions, like a volcanic upheaval, and solid
walls were pierced by the fragments. David Leisure was knocked down by
the force of the air caused by the rapidity with which the body passed
before it broke. The blow rendered him unconscious. One horse had its head
crushed and nearly torn from the trunk by a fragment of the meteor, and
another horse in the next stall was discovered to be stone-deaf.</blockquote>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I would call that a reasonably consistent and probably
accurate account of an animal death by meteorite. There are no details
in this report that I would quarrel with as unlikely or invented or too
imaginative to be true. And <i>The New York Times </i>does have a pretty
good reputation for a journalistic yellow rag!
the fall contains a datum which is testable and
in the sky at Denshal
it emitted was an
fragments of
falling to earth
the depth of about one metre."
experience ought to be able to tell us
deep in sand. More
a meter deep in sand, since
who could tell us what size (and speed) of bullet
vapour and a fall of black stones...
to a depth of a metre"
Denshal, he did
It turns