[meteorite-list] Gilbert Ray Campground in Tucson

From: Larry & Twink Monrad <larrytwinkmonrad_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:55:55 2004

--=====================_4604751==_.ALT

Hi to Bob and List,

Gilbert Ray Campground
phone number 520 883 4200
Regards,
Larry and Twink

At 12:00 PM 1/29/02 -0600, Bob King wrote:
>Hello all,
>Unfortunately I will have to experience Tucson from afar this year. But I
>want to pass along a place I stayed at last year that was a wonderful
>bargain and a nice way to experience the fantastic desert environment.
>My first night was spent in the Rodeway Inn for a mere $99 ;-). As I lay
>in bed listening to traffic I vowed it would be my last night for that price.
>In the morning I contacted the kind folks at Gilbert Ray Campgrounds in
>Tucson Mountain Park (about 20 minutes from downtown Tucson just
>off Gates Pass Road). For $7 a night I got a quiet campsite near some
>very pretty hiking trails. My time at Gilbert Ray was at least as
>memorable as the show itself. The sky was dark, the stars spectacular.
>The only catch is that you cannot reserve a camp site on the phone.
>You have to be there in the morning when they open (they open about 8
>or 9 a.m. as I recall) and ask for a spot in person. The good news is that
>you can have that spot for a number of days without needing to renew.
>When I went it was no problem -- there were a bunch of openings. The
>modest campground is run by a couple of the friendliest people I met.
>And the people in camp -- some tent campers like myself, others with
>RVs -- were quiet at night. I wish I could give you the phone number but
>I can't find it in all the stuff I brought back. Just call the Tucson
>Chamber of Commerce or directory assistance.
>Happy lodgings!
>Bob

--=====================_4604751==_.ALT

Gilbert Ray Campground <br>
phone number 520 883 4200<br>
Regards,<br>
Larry and Twink<br><br>
At 12:00 PM 1/29/02 -0600, Bob King wrote:<br>
Unfortunately I will have to experience Tucson from afar this year. But I
want to pass along a place I stayed at last year that was a wonderful
bargain and a nice way to experience the fantastic desert environment.
My first night was spent in the Rodeway Inn for a mere $99 ;-). As I lay
in bed listening to traffic I vowed it would be my last night for that
price. <br>
In the morning I contacted the kind folks at Gilbert Ray Campgrounds in
Tucson Mountain Park (about 20 minutes from downtown Tucson just <br>
off Gates Pass Road). For $7 a night I got a quiet campsite near some
very pretty hiking trails. My time at Gilbert Ray was at least as <br>
memorable as the show itself. The sky was dark, the stars spectacular.
The only catch is that you cannot reserve a camp site on the phone.
You have to be there in the morning when they open (they open about 8
or 9 a.m. as I recall) and ask for a spot in person. The good news is
that <br>
you can have that spot for a number of days without needing to renew.
When I went it was no problem -- there were a bunch of openings. The
modest campground is run by a couple of the friendliest people I met.
And the people in camp -- some tent campers like myself, others with
RVs -- were quiet at night. I wish I could give you the phone number but
I can't find it in all the stuff I brought back. Just call the Tucson
Chamber of Commerce or directory assistance.<br>
Happy lodgings!<br>
Bob <br><br>