[meteorite-list] Meterotie Contest

From: Tettenborn <tett_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:55:55 2004

------=_NextPart_000_0042_01C1A9BA.E507F640

List,

Below is a message I sent to a friend about 5 months ago detailing an =
idea for a contest. Would like to know if the list is interested and if =
people would participate. If there is some interest is there anyone out =
there that would like to design and host the web page?

Cheers,

Mike Tettenborn

Juris,

I had a thought last night and want to pass it by you.

How about organizing a contest for guessing the place of the next =
official meteorite fall.

People could e-mail in a vote of the nearest town or land mark and these =
could be posted on a web site which includes the person's name. All =
entrants must pledge a meteorite slice or fragment (say worth ~$10 or =
so) and those meteorites will go into a pool. Dealers may want to =
pledge a little more. When a fall happens then the person with the =
closest town or land mark (could be thousands of mile away) gets all the =
meteorites. We could have an impartial judge or panel decide who won. =
We would also need some guide line as to what constitutes a fall. Say =
at least 1 kg. and many witnesses. Other rules would have to be =
carefully thought out. Tagish Lake and Bilanga and Ourique would all =
qualify.

As well, the people who pledged the meteorites would be asked to mail =
their specimens to the winner.

The web site could even post pictures of the pledge meteorites.

This contest could go on for a year or two and be lots of fun if many =
people signed up.

What do you think?

tett

------=_NextPart_000_0042_01C1A9BA.E507F640

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>List,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Below is a message I sent to a friend =
about 5=20
months ago detailing an idea for a contest.&nbsp; Would like to know if =
the list=20
is interested and if people would participate.&nbsp; If there is some =
interest=20
is there anyone out there that would like to design and host the web=20
page?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Cheers,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Mike Tettenborn</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>Juris,<BR><BR>I had a thought last night and want to pass it by=20
you.<BR><BR>How about organizing a contest for guessing the place of the =
next=20
official meteorite fall.<BR><BR>People could e-mail in a vote of the =
nearest=20
town or land mark and these could be posted on a web site which includes =
the=20
person's name.&nbsp; All entrants must pledge a meteorite slice or =
fragment (say=20
worth ~$10 or so) and those meteorites will go into a pool.&nbsp; =
Dealers may=20
want to pledge a little more.&nbsp; When a fall happens then the person =
with the=20
closest town or land mark (could be thousands of mile away)&nbsp;gets =
all the=20
meteorites.&nbsp; We could have an impartial judge or panel decide who=20
won.&nbsp; We would also need some guide line as to what constitutes a=20
fall.&nbsp; Say at least 1 kg. and many witnesses.&nbsp; Other rules =
would have=20
to be carefully thought out.&nbsp; Tagish Lake and Bilanga and Ourique =
would all=20
qualify.</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT><BR>As well, the people who =
pledged the=20
meteorites would be asked to mail their specimens to the =
winner.<BR><BR>The web=20
site could even post pictures of the pledge meteorites.<BR><BR>This =
contest=20
could go on for a year or two and be lots of fun if many people signed=20
up.<BR><BR>What do you think?<BR><BR>tett</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0042_01C1A9BA.E507F640--