[meteorite-list] Nice Chondrules

From: Graham Christensen <majorvoltage_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:55:56 2004

Hello Mohammed,
Very interesting but I think your identification is wrong. Your 'chondrules'
appear to be made of a white crystal, possibly quartz. I have never heard of
a meteorite with quartz in it.

Your 'fusion crust' does sort of look like a meteorite but... If you look at
the rock underneath the crust you will see layers. Meteorites never have
layers. I suspect it is sand stone. It does have an interesting shape
though, I have seen similarily shaped sandstone near a dry salt lake.

And finally, your 'flow lines' are probably formed by rain. Notice how they
all seem to be oriented upwards. Also, flow lines are only seen on fresh
fusion crust and most fusion crust is dark except on some achondrite.

I am not an expert but I have spent quite a few years looking for meteorites
myself. I hope I havn't discouraged you at all. The meteorites are out
there, keep searching.

By the way there is a nice gallery of meteorites at:
http://www.meteorite.com/gallery
Check it out, it will give you a better idea of what a meteorite looks like.

Happy hunting.

Graham Christensen
majorvoltage_at_hotmail.com
http://www.geocities.com/aerolitehunter