[meteorite-list] Reply to my last post about ebay and market

From: Michael Farmer <farmerm_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:00:04 2004

------=_NextPart_000_001A_01C2212D.87A9EAE0

Hello everyone, I left town to head up north on 5 minutes notice =
Saturday when the evacuation order for Show Low was lifted. I have been =
surveying the destruction up there and just got home to Tucson. Will =
talk about that later tonight.=20
 About the Ebay/Meteorite market post I made, there were a good many =
replies, too many for me to deal with.=20
Just to clarify here, some people seem to have thought that I meant that =
I sold only low quality meteorites on ebay. That is not, I REPEAT NOT, =
what I meant. I was trying to say that what I tend to put on ebay is =
smaller items, things that I don't have time to put on my website. I am =
months behind on there as it is, and need the website time for the =
larger specimens. I use Ebay exclusively to sell the smaller lower =
dollar items, still makes great money, pays the bills etc.=20
I started collecting like almost everyone else by buying small items. I =
do not mean to say at all that this is bad, this is where most of my =
money comes from.=20
    The comment about Low quality that I somehow managed to merge with =
my ebay sells sentence was out of place. I meant to say that many =
meteorites that are found on ebay are low quality. Look at the Sikhote =
Alins, they are dirt cheap on ebay, but they are the low quality =
specimens, the nicer ones are expensive, and do not sell on ebay. So =
when someone tells me that they got a .10 cent per gram SA on ebay and =
want the same price for my website specimens, I just laugh.
    The market is not ebay, ebay is a very public display of meteorite =
sells though. Just because a nice specimen does not fetch a good price =
like R. Elliotts Cumberland Falls, this does not mean that the =
Cumberland Falls price collapsed, it means Rob took a beating and =
someone got very lucky. I wish I had seen it!=20
Ebay dose NOT =3D Meteorite Market prices.=20

Thanks=20
Mike Farmer

------=_NextPart_000_001A_01C2212D.87A9EAE0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hello everyone, I left town to head up =
north on 5=20
minutes notice Saturday when the evacuation order for Show Low was =
lifted. I=20
have been surveying the destruction up there and just got home to =
Tucson. Will=20
talk about that later tonight. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;About the Ebay/Meteorite market =
post I made,=20
there were a good many replies, too many for me to deal with. =
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Just to clarify here, some people seem =
to have=20
thought that I meant that I sold only low quality meteorites on ebay. =
That is=20
not, I REPEAT NOT, what I meant. I was trying to say that what I tend to =
put on=20
ebay is smaller items, things that I don't have time to put on my =
website. I am=20
months behind on there as it is, and need the website time for the =
larger=20
specimens. I use Ebay exclusively to sell the smaller lower dollar =
items, still=20
makes great money, pays the bills etc. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I started collecting like almost =
everyone else by=20
buying small items. I do not mean to say at all that this is bad, this =
is where=20
most of my money comes from. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The comment about =
Low quality=20
that I somehow managed to merge with my ebay sells sentence was out of =
place. I=20
meant to say that many meteorites that are found on ebay are low =
quality. Look=20
at the Sikhote Alins, they are dirt cheap on ebay, but they are the low =
quality=20
specimens, the nicer ones are expensive, and do not sell on ebay. So =
when=20
someone tells me that they got a .10 cent per gram SA on ebay and want =
the same=20
price for my website specimens, I just laugh.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The market is not =
ebay, ebay is=20
a very public display of meteorite sells though. Just because a nice =
specimen=20
does not fetch a good price like R. Elliotts Cumberland Falls, this does =
not=20
mean that the Cumberland Falls price collapsed, it means Rob took a =
beating and=20
someone got very lucky. I wish I had seen it! </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Ebay dose NOT =3D Meteorite Market =
prices.=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Mike Farmer</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_001A_01C2212D.87A9EAE0--