[meteorite-list] nwa869

From: dean bessey <deanbessey_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:00:05 2004

>hello all
>One my idea, why everyone of we that it has a piece of this meteorite >not
>sends it to an only laboratory in order to make of the analyses and >to see
>that turned out it comes outside? Pieces can be sent to an only
>person and after this it sends it to the laboratory, than of thoughts?
>Regards
>Matteo
Matteo. No offence but I dont understand what you are trying to say. Do you
mean that every piece should be sent for analysis? If so please let us know
who is willing to classify loads of common chondrites. I cant even get LLs
classified.
>This would fit in with Dean's piece that was sent off and the original
> >analysis, of it being a L4 (which I have favored all along). All my
> >best!
>AL
My suspicions is that this meteorite is so highly brecciated and so much
different things in it that the first thin section was from an L4 part and
the second one from an L5 part. As matteos analysis shows there is likely
also high 3 parts and L6 parts to and that some pieces are brecciated and
have inclusions. I would like to think carbonaceous but I have never seen
anybody who has done proper research use that world so as far as I
understand that is just a combination of wishful thinking and/or an educated
guess. But I dont know of anybody saying that they are not carbonaceous
either - a problem with matteos comments about every piece should be sent
for study.
Anybody who dont think it is brecciated look at these photos:
http://www.meteoriteshop.com/aa-nwa869a.jpg
http://www.meteoriteshop.com/aa-nwa869b.jpg
There are also sometimes very defined white, grey and black inclusion
looking things.
>Walter branch wrote:
>Let's take a certain strewn field, a geographical location where
> >meteorites have been found and continue to be found (okay, I admit - I
> >am thinking of NWA). Multiple individuals are finding meteorites.
> >Finder A may find x number of stones, then Finder B etc. and they are
> >being sold to dealers J, K and L. >SNIP>
Ever look at the DAG area and wonder why there are dozens of CO3s? One team
goes to look. Then somebody else uses the data and searches and finds more.
Then somebody else looks in the same area. then somebody else..........,
well you get the idea. Your thoughts are not just idle ideas. It has been a
fact of life in a very big way for 4 or 5 years already. The searchers are
for the most part doing their best because they have problems finding all of
the data to or to draw conclusions from the data that they have.
The CO3 is an easy example because they are all so obviously paired. But I
have seen probably 300 or 400 DAGs and many of the L6s and H5s look
identical to and though it is a bit harder to establish pairings, I am
pretty confident that many of those are paired to - even though multiple
teams are responsible for finding each batch that has been assigned a unigue
DAG (Works with HAH to) number.
NOW TO MENTION THE MOST IMPORTANT FACT ABOUT NWA869 - this meteorite that is
among the largest, nicest and most interesting meteorite to come out of the
Sahara. I dont think that the shergotites and most other rare meteorites
have generated as many postings to this discussion group as NWA869 has. A
meteorite that is even teaching us about many of the worlds classification
procedures and problems that researchers have when trying to classify a
meteorite.
AND THAT VERY IMPOERTANT FACT IS? This great fact concerning NWA869 is that
I have a pile of them in my living room. Thats right. Out of the 600 kilos
that I originally had I have 130 kilos or so left.
And whats even better, is that pretty much anything that I own has a price
tag on it. I am very willing to part with this exciting meteorite for
quantities of green stuff. And for $200 a kilo I will send you all that you
want. Or $100 for half a kilo. (Buyers outside of canada and the US I need
some extra to help cover the postage costs) Paypal me and you shall receive.
But I need it in the next few days as after that I might be out of the
country.
Cheers
DEAN

You dont have to go to NASA to get a Rock from outer space. Or even from the
Planet Mars or the Moon. You just have to visit the Meteorite Shop.
www.meteoriteshop.com