[meteorite-list] Jeff's online meteorite listing

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:00:08 2004

------------- Original Message -------------
[meteorite-list] Jeff's online meteorite listing

Matson, Robert ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_saic.com
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 14:09:31 -0700

Hi Jeff,

I want to echo Bob's kudos -- your website tally is a
nice on-line source of quick classification data. I
found a few California entries that can be updated:

++++SNIP!++++

Cheers,
Rob
------------ End of Original Message -------------

Hello Jeff and List,
I just wanted to add one more thing. And I'm sure
most readers of Rob Matson's post understood that the
"updates" weren't meant to be any form of criticism.
But just in case, I would like to make it clear that
Jeff is in no way remiss for not having knowledge of
those "updated classifications". Mainly, because they
haven't been published, yet.
So, aside from Alan Rubin and me, and the few people
that I shared these "results" with, such as Rob, no
one else could have knowledge of these "updated
classifications".

But wait, that's not quite true. I did supply all of
these "updates" to Sara Russell , the Met. Bulletin
editor, but she declined to forward them to the
Nomenclature Committee for review, saying that it
would be better for reviewing and referencing purposes
to have all of these "updates" published somewhere.
She suggested that I write up some abstracts. And I
agreed. So, I went and wrote 6 abstracts and
submitted them for the 65th Annual Met. Soc. Meeting,
but they all got turned down! Their explanation -
they are prohibited from accepting abstracts that
don't conform to the nomenclature and classification
as published in the Meteoritical Bulletin [period]

Crikey, mate! It's a "Catch-22"! And worse, it was
too late to go back to the Nomenclature Committee -
the deadline had expired (because it was months
earlier this year). Now, I don't want to give the
impression that I was just being "jerked around" and
that I was being treated as some sort of "bothersome
collector", because this was actually all a result of
bad timing and being a victim of circumstances.
Nevertheless, I did fail to get all this information
into the Meteoritical Bulletin (THIS year;-). But
I'll try again NEXT year, and much earlier. So, I
just wanted to say all of this "in my defense",
because I don't want to be accused of "sitting on
data".

Okay, some of you may say, "Why didn't you let Alan
Rubin handle all of this?" Simple. Because it's not
his job. Besides, I was the "stake-holder" in this
effort. What I mean is, this effort was initiated by
me and the effort in tracking down these "historical"
California meteorites, and acquiring/trading samples,
was entirely mine. And, in the end, I succeeded in
getting to Alan Rubin a sample from each of the last
few uncharacterized California stony meteorites. And
it wasn't just for the sake of getting the last few
unclassified California meteorites a proper
characterization. It was for purposes of determining
pairing with recent meteorite finds that I (and some
of my colleagues) had made, before we could request
proper names from the Nomenclature Committee. This is
what I meant by me being the "stake-holder".

So, Jeff K., it's your decision. Go ahead and make
the changes, anticipating that this time next year
they will appear in the Meteoritical Bulletin, or keep
what you have and only make changes after publication
of reclassifications. (Or you can think about adding
the phrase, "Pending Reclassification" or "Pending Nom
Comm Approval":-)

But I will point out one potential complication. Say,
you revise your list with the "anticipated"
reclassifications, but Bernd (and other independent
database keepers) DON'T, then we're not all "working
off of the same page"... ? How widely divergent will
all of these databases become? And where do you draw
the line?

And finally, should you go ahead with the changes now,
then you should feel equally comfortable with moving
Gold Basin from the L4 column to the L6 column!!
;-)))

Bob V.

---------------- Attached Message ------------------
[meteorite-list] New complete on-line listing of
Meteorites.

Jeff Kuyken jeff_at_meteoritesaustralia.com
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 04:02:59 +1000

G'day List,

After many, many, many hours and much frustration I
have finally completed a list of all meteorites
arranged by classification and put it on my website.
It is simply the names of meteorites by their
classification and in alphabetical order. I have
omitted some Antarctic meteorites, however there
are probably a couple of thousand desert meteorites
(eg. NWA, DAG, Dho etc).
I have endeavoured to make the list as complete and
accurate as possible however if anyone finds a
mistake, (double-up, wrong class, etc) please let me
know. I have found it very useful for my own personal
use and I hope others will get just as much use.

Thanks,

Jeff Kuyken
I.M.C.A. #3085
www.meteoritesaustralia.com