[meteorite-list] Remembering Flight 93 and ... (Off-Topic)

From: FERNLEA4_at_aol.com <FERNLEA4_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:00:08 2004

--part1_180.a990d08.2a697520_boundary

bernd.pauli_at_lehrer.uni-karlsruhe.de writes:

> Just back from watching an American documentary about F l i g h t 93
> on our German Discovery Channel. Saw all the horrible scenes again but
> had to keep on watching.

Hi Bernd and all,
as anyone who's taken an international or even a domestic flight since the
terrible events of September 11th will know, airport security has been extra
tight. When I flew to the States earlier this year, I had to pass through 3
security check points, metal detectors, x-ray scanners etc. before even
leaving the UK......kinda made you feel safe too!
I expected security to be the same or even tighter when I flew out to the US
last week, and didn't even attempt to take any iron meteorite slices, or
"sharp" specimens along with me for obvious reasons. But it wasn't to be.
I'm not going to say when or at which airport, but security definitely wasn't
making the grade this time as far as I'm concerned. At one airport, I placed
my meteorite hand luggage on the conveyor belt of the scanner, walked through
the metal detector arch and then waited at the end of the conveyor, expecting
the usual demand to open and inspect my bags. Instead, my bags just rolled
out ready for me to collect them. I was surprised because there were several
chunks of iron meteorite in there.....I've been stopped and questioned many
times in the past for far less than that! I couldn't believe my eyes when I
turned and realised that no-one was actually manning the scanner. There was
just an empty seat at the monitor....can you believe that??

Cheers,
Rob.

www.meteorites.uk.com
Fernlea Meteorites,
The Wynd,
Off Dickson Lane,
Milton of Balgonie,
Fife. KY7 6PY
United Kingdom
Tel: +44-(0)1592-751563
Fax: +44-(0)1592-751991
Email: fernlea4_at_aol.com

--part1_180.a990d08.2a697520_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">In a message dated 18/07/02 21:49:11 GMT Daylight Time, bernd.pauli_at_lehrer.uni-karlsruhe.de writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Just back from watching an American documentary about&nbsp; F l i g h t&nbsp; 93<BR>
on our German Discovery Channel. Saw all the horrible scenes again but<BR>
had to keep on watching.</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
Hi Bernd and all,<BR>
as anyone who's taken an international or even a domestic flight since the terrible events of September 11th will know, airport security has been extra tight. When I flew to the States earlier this year, I had to pass through 3 security check points, metal detectors, x-ray scanners etc. before even leaving the UK......kinda made you feel safe too!<BR>
I expected security to be the same or even tighter when I flew out to the US last week, and didn't even attempt to take any iron meteorite slices, or "sharp" specimens along with me for obvious reasons. But it wasn't to be.<BR>
I'm not going to say when or at which airport, but security definitely wasn't making the grade this time as far as I'm concerned. At one airport, I placed my meteorite hand luggage on the conveyor belt of the scanner, walked through the metal detector arch and then waited at the end of the conveyor, expecting the usual demand to open and inspect my bags. Instead, my bags just rolled out ready for me to collect them. I was surprised because there were several chunks of iron meteorite in there.....I've been stopped and questioned many times in the past for far less than that! I couldn't believe my eyes when I turned and realised that no-one was actually manning the scanner. There was just an empty seat at the monitor....can you believe that??<BR>
<BR>
Cheers,<BR>
Rob.<BR>
<BR>
www.meteorites.uk.com<BR>
Fernlea Meteorites,<BR>
The Wynd,<BR>
Off Dickson Lane,<BR>
Milton of Balgonie,<BR>
Fife. KY7 6PY<BR>
United Kingdom<BR>
Tel: +44-(0)1592-751563<BR>
Fax: +44-(0)1592-751991<BR>
Email: fernlea4_at_aol.com</FONT></HTML>

--part1_180.a990d08.2a697520_boundary--