[meteorite-list] Lunar Meteorite Density

From: S.Singletary <jumper_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:00:08 2004

Steven,

If you know the minerals in the meteorite all you have to do is look up
their density. If it's mostly feldspar the meteorite density will be the
density of feldspar (sorry don't have my books with me at the moment but a
google search will turn it up easily). That should work fairly well for a
lunar anorthosite or any other mono or di-mineralic meteorites (ureilites
etc). You can't do it (easily) that way for a chondrite because of the
multiple phases and uncertainty in how much of what is present.

Hope that helps get you started.

At 09:40 PM 7/21/2002 -0400, SSachs9056_at_aol.com wrote:
>Good evening list,
>Question for the list. Can anyone point me in the direction ----if anyone has
>ever taken Lunar Meteorite samples and performed density tests? As I
>understand it, ordinary meteorites has density of the scale of 3.5 to 3.7.
>Would a lunar sample be in the neighborhood of 2.7?
>
>Has there been any research or papers done on this topic? Please advise.
>
>Thanks in advance, and best to all.
>
>Steven L. Sachs IMCA# 9170

Steven Singletary
54-1224
Dept. Earth, Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences
M.I.T.
Cambridge, MA 02139
Tel - 617.253.6398
Fax - 617.253.7102