[meteorite-list] Dust In 'Earth's Attic' Could Hold Evidence Of Planet's Earliest Life

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:00:09 2004

Hi Ron,
    Thanks for the post...
    Very interesting article - it has always been my contention that we will
one day have an "Earth Meteorite" fall or find. Bob Haag's "holy grail" has
always been a meteorite with fossil evidence of life (ALH84001?) but mine
has always been a meteorite that consisted of material knocked off the
earth, then returned via a fall.
    I'm waiting.........
    Best wishes, Michael

on 7/22/02 2:29 PM, Ron Baalke at baalke_at_zagami.jpl.nasa.gov wrote:

> http://www.washington.edu/newsroom/news/2002archive/07-02archive/k072202.html
>
> Office of News and Information
> University of Washington
> Seattle, Washington
>
> FROM: Vince Stricherz, 206-543-2580, vinces_at_u.washington.edu
>
> FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: July 22, 2002
>
> Dust in 'Earth's attic' could hold evidence of planet's earliest
> life
>
> The dust has been piling up in Earth's attic for billions of
> years, and now some scientists want to sift through the
> accumulation to see if they can find evidence of the planet's
> earliest life.
>
> "It is up there. I don't know how common it is, but somewhere up
> there is at least one fist-sized chunk of rock with Earth's name
> on it," said John Armstrong, a University of Washington doctoral
> student in astronomy and astrobiology. "It would probably take
> hundreds of years of human habitation to find it and recognize
> it, but it's there."
>
> "Up there" is the moon, what Armstrong and his colleagues refer
> to as Earth's attic. And while he doesn't expect to actually find
> a large chunk of Earth rock, he believes there is likely a wealth
> of planetary debris in the form of fine particles on the moon's
> surface.
>
> In an upcoming edition of Icarus, an international journal of
> solar system science, Armstrong and colleagues Llyd Wells, a UW
> graduate student in oceanography, and Guillermo Gonzalez, an
> assistant physics and astronomy professor at Iowa State
> University, argue that humans should seriously consider returning
> to lunar exploration. Any mission, they say, should include a
> search for fossils of some of Earth's earliest microbial life.
>
> In its very early history, 3.8 billion to 3.9 billion years ago,
> comets and asteroids constantly bombarded the Earth. Some of
> those bodies hit with such force that chunks of the planet's
> surface were ejected beyond the pull of its gravity. The three
> astrobiologists believe some of that ejected material went
> directly to the lunar surface, while other material went into
> orbit and some gradually fell to the moon.
>
> Finding rocks, or even particles, from that period could be
> invaluable in understanding how life on Earth came to be as it
> is today, since any fossils found likely would be from a time
> long before life on Earth developed great complexity and
> diversity.
>
> Because of the moon's position in the inner solar system, in
> theory it has collected material from all the planets. Earth
> matter probably is most abundant, since it is closest to the
> moon, but Armstrong, Wells and Gonzalez expect that fallout
> from Mars and Venus also is abundant enough that it could be
> recovered. They have calculated that, on average, perhaps 22
> tons of Earth material is spread over every 38 square miles
> of the moon.
>
> If they are right, Armstrong said, that means about 10 parts
> [...]

"Verbosity leads to unclear, inarticulate things."
-- Dan Quayle, 11/30/88
--
Worth Seeing:
-  Earth at night from satalite: