[meteorite-list] METEORITE CONTEST #5 - FREE BOOKS!

From: Tracy Latimer <tracyl_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:00:09 2004

My favorite meteorite book doesn't really strictly belong in the
"meteorite" category, but introduced me to astronomy at a very early
age. It's "Find the Constellations: A New Way to See Them" by
H. A. Rey. Yes, _that_ H. A. Rey, the same fine author who gave us
Curious George. I received a copy from my parents as a gift when I was 6
or 7, and have been hooked on the stars ever since. I have very fond
memories of begging red fingernail polish from my mother to paint the lens
of a flashlight, and having to explain WHY I was doing it to my father's
flashlight. So I could read the star maps in the book you gave me, and go
out on a cool May night, and stare up, and wonder... and count those
fleeting flashes of light when cometary bits hit our atmosphere.

I think the book I would most like Richard Norton to write would be a
compilation of all the useful information that has been posted on this and
other meteorite sites. I have at least a couple of hundred saved posts
covering everything from classification issues to the best way to keep the
Dread Lawrencite from devouring your prized pallasites, and my
administrator is making noises about cutting down on available storage
space again. Printing out and Organizing all the Useful Things would make
me crazy, so I'm asking someone else to do it for me :-D

My two NWAXXX,
Tracy Latimer