[meteorite-list] Nebraska's "Impact Crater"

From: MeteorHntr_at_aol.com <MeteorHntr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:00:09 2004

--part1_9b.2acbfc47.2a6e3db5_boundary

In a message dated 7/22/02 11:12:44 PM Central Daylight Time,
Impactika_at_aol.com writes:

> The Nebraska "Impact Crater" Ron told us about a few days ago has made it
> to the AOL front page.
> The article is the same but there is an interesting link to a site
> maintained by the University of New Brunswick, with a list of Impact
> Craters around the world, and a lot of maps and pictures:
> http://www.unb.ca/passc/ImpactDatabase/images.html
>
> Very interesting.
>

> Anne Black

Hello Ann and list,

A few years ago the story first appeared in the National Geographic magazine.
 It interested me for a couple of reasons. First, I wanted to see if there
might in fact be any new found meteorites around. And second, the "crater"
is only a few miles away from Arnold, Nebraska.

Since I started in the business 11 years ago, I have wanted to find a
meteorite named "Arnold," for obvious reasons. And here might have been a
chance to get the Nomenclature Committee to name, not just a meteorite but a
crater "Arnold" as well!

The hole in the ground is really strange and when you drive into it, you
realize this isn't a normal Great Plains feature. I don't recall that there
was any rim to the formation, only this huge mile wide circular indentation
sitting below the normal terrain. You can drive into it from one side,
across the bottom, and up and out of it on the other side on the county road.

As much as I would want it to be a genuine impact crater, I don't think it
is. Compared to the Meteor Crater in Arizona and having been in the
Monturaqui Crater in Chile, it does not seem at all to have the same bowl
appearance. It seems much too shallow.

Does the NomCom officially name psudeo-craters?

Steve Arnold
www.meteoritebroker.com

--part1_9b.2acbfc47.2a6e3db5_boundary