[meteorite-list] LA 002 - Whatz all the fuss?

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:00:09 2004

LA 002 is currently on display at the Natural History Museum in Los Angeles. I first saw
the LA meteorites in December 1999 when Bob happily brought them by
shortly after UCLA identified them as Mars meteorites. Here are more details:

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/snc/la.html

It was a thrill to hold both the main masses of LA 001 and LA 002 at the same time.
Now looking back, it turns out not too many people had that opportunity as LA 001
was later sold and cut up. As Roman mentioned, my photo of LA 002 is in the
2003 Meteorite Calendar.

Bob also brought LA 002 to the JPL Open House as we setup a Mars meteorite booth
the past couple of years (alas, this year's Open House is cancelled). LA 002 has
the classic oriented shape, which will be preserved forever in the casts made.
It is one meteorite I've grown attached to.

Ron Baalke