[meteorite-list] LA 002 - Whatz all the fuss?

From: meteorites_at_space.com <meteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:00:09 2004

I can relate to this dilemma...

When I found the fantastic 20.7 kilo Glorieta pallasite
I even as I dug it up had to consider the possibility
that it would be cut.

And this vexed me greatly.

Also, I had entered into previously, and long before
this find, an agreement with my friend Darryl Pitt that
he would have first refusal over all of the "largest"
of my finds.

And he had purchased my largest one a few years
previous to this find, and thus secured the right to
refusal for the next.

(This same offer was extended to several other
meteorite dealers, and they refused-- but Darryl picked
it up)

When the time came for the transaction, Darryl was up
front in telling me that the meteorite would be cut,
and when the deed was done-- I cried--- no joking--- I
broke down in tears-- for this was the finest most
amazing pallasite that I had ever found. And should I
live another 30 years, searching every day for another
it is doubtful that I will find another like it.

But--- in the years since I have receieved acclaim, and
thanks from meteorite collectors and curators world
wide for the spectacular slices that Darryl prepaired
from this main mass. And thousands of people seeing
these remarkable slices have a greater appreciation of
it than would have been should the mass been preserved
in its entirety.

In life things are transient... everything has a
beginning and an end. Nothing stays the same. But
each moment is preserved in time and exists in a frame
of of the time that the scheme of the universe
encompases.

Within my mind, that moment of discover remains-- the
mass in its entirety is still there, the joy of its
find, the exilleration that I derived from it after the
hard search. It is a private thing. Hard to convey.

And that frame of time, I will never forget.

But after the cutting and distribution, others now
enjoy, and study the fruit of my labors.

And that is part of the evolution of the thing.

I have no slices of this remarkable meteorite.

But the memory of it as I found it remains.

Steve Schoner.

On Wed, 24 July 2002, Robert Verish wrote

> Didn't catch the LA 002 thread until late. Tonight
> was spent in preparation for our presentation at UCLA
> for tomorrow morning's Session of the 65th Annual
> Meeting of the Meteoritical Society. Nick Gessler,
> (along with Rob Matson and myself) will be presenting
> what signifies as being our combined, past 3 years of
> meteorite recovery efforts in the Southwestern U.S.
>
> So, obviously I have no intention of entering into a
> lengthy discussion about LA 002, right now.
>
> But in regards to Michael Bloods post about the
> preservation of LA 002 - YES, I did publicly express
> my desires to not have LA 002 cut (for ESTHETIC
> reasons), but this is an evolving issue, and for
> anyone who progresses within their study of
> meteorites, there comes a time &quot;when a corner is
> turned&quot; and comes the realization that meteorites
> exist in order to be cut! That meteorites made the
> long journey to our planet for the explicit purpose
> that they be cut, not only so that they can be
> analyzed, but in order that their interior beauty can
> be exposed.
>
> YES, I know. I have taken some List members to task
> for the their &quot;devout&quot; attitudes towards
&quot;never&quot;
> cutting their favorite meteorite &quot;never for ANY
> reason&quot;, especially when that attitude is taken
to the
> point of alienating researchers and risking our
> tenuous relationship with them. Having taken that
> position, how then can I take the attitude that LA 002
> should never again undergo the blade?
>
> No longer do I presume to withhold from researchers
> and the science of meteoritics THAT which would
> advance our understanding of Mars, our own planet, and
> the Solar System. Certainly, not for the reason that
> &quot;it's too beautiful&quot;. Certainly, not in
this age of
> advancing technology, now that we can core and extract
> samples sufficiently large enough for analysis, yet
> small enough that a meteorites form is not
> compromised. (Besides, I've seen the museum's exact
> replica of LA 002. It is a PERFECT replica! Now,
> THAT is a real work of art that needs preservation.
> In addition, I have the mold from which more replicas
> can be made.;-)
>
> But if you don't agree with my philosophy about
> cutting meteorites, and if you are such a
> preservationist that you feel obliged to rescue LA 002
> (for sure, the Museum had their chance but they passed
> in favor of much needed renovations), then feel free
> to make me an offer. There is no barrier or
> restriction that would prevent you from doing just
> that - make me an offer for LA 002. I will
> respectfully consider all legitimate offers. But
> before I accept any offer, I will make good on my
> promise to Michael Casper, that &quot;in
consideration of
> his keeping of his word and of the faithful execution
> of all the many aspects involved in the sale of LA
> 001&quot;, that I would extend to him the opportunity
to,
> either, make the &quot;last&quot; (or final) offer in
the sale