[meteorite-list] Re: Tagish Lake Meteorite 'A Gem'

From: Matson, Robert <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:00:10 2004

Hi Herbert and List,

>> The chunk of space rock is higher in extra-terrestrial
>> material than any other meteorite and may belong in a
> class of its own, say researchers at London's Natural
> History Museum.

Herbert commented, "Higher in extra-terrestrial material than
any other meteorite??? Uuuups, I thought my meteorites are all
100% extra-terrestrial material. Does Tagish Lake get 110%...? ;-)"

I didn't save the original article, but I seem to recall that it
was extra-terrestrial carbon (or carbon compounds) that Tagish
had in greater abundance than all other carbonaceous chondrites.
But that doesn't excuse the use of the misleading words "extra-
terrestrial material" as a substitute for organic compounds.

--Rob