[meteorite-list] Cyclic mass extinction?

From: almitt <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:00:10 2004

Hi Edward and all,

Recently it was announced (on this list) that the Sun was made primarily of iron and doesn't have the hydrogen that was once thought. This is a new theory based on observations by astronomers. It was said that the sun formed from a single supernova event and probably was a single star. It will be interesting to see if this new idea holds true. If it is correct then perhaps there is no Nemesis (companion star) as we have thought, although we may pass near other stars in our galaxy that might
cause this effect every 26 million years. Perhaps there is something else going on that we aren't yet aware. Just a thought and comment.

--AL