[meteorite-list] THANKS

From: Rhett Bourland <rbourlan_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:00:10 2004

Did you ever wonder why I don't like Steve? Its because of this whole
little episode. I like people until they give me a reason not to which is
what Steve did. I tried to handle this stuff privately but Steve is the one
who started making it public. The reason he is on probation is because he
got mad and made racist comments. I think that's reason enough for most
people. I also told you that I acted on it because I will not allow one
person to make an unfriendly environment for everyone else. The board of
the IMCA talked about it and since you see the results you should be able to
assume what happened and other than that its just nobody's business.
Apparently, trying to handle racist comments privately so everyone doesn't
see the full story is enough to get blasted because everyone doesn't know
what's going on. I've tried being totally open with everything and it all
imploded. I've tried handling things privately and I get blasted because
people form opinions based only on the ramblings of an idiot without knowing
the full story. Now I get suckered into arguing with Joel Warren on another
list which is something I tend to do too often but not anymore because I've
left that one on my own.
So what should I do?
I have other things that I can do with my time and energy other than deal
with either petty arguments or trying to explain myself for standing up for
what I believe to be right. I try to stand up for what I believe and I
don't regret a thing I've done because of that yet apparently unless I can
totally explain all of my actions to people who aren't even involved I get
knocked for it more than a guy who makes racist comments to someone he
doesn't like. I'll sleep well tonight knowing my actions.
So what should I do?
Should I step aside and let someone else who isn't quite so controversial or
is as spineless as Brice Hornback apparently is run it? What do you all
think? Jim Hartman (who is really a great guy) can handle all the technical
stuff ok, especially since everything is up and running now. Do you want
someone who won't be as outspoken to run it? I do enjoy the work, running
the website and especially getting the chance to talk to so many other
people around the world who share the same hobby but I don't want to be a
burden to the IMCA and hold it back any. I also don't want to explain every
single act I take when someone makes an idiot of themselves. Just because
you don't know all the reasons for something doesn't mean that those reasons
don't exist, especially when I'm attempting to save someone a little face by
not doing things publicly.
So what should you do? Talk among yourselves about who you want at the head
of the IMCA. If its me, fine, let me do my job. If its someone else, fine,
let them do their job. Get back with me if you want someone else to do it
and I'll pass along all the need information. Just do everyone who's not in
the IMCA a favor and stay off the Meteorite Central list and do on the
IMCA's list. You can post to it at
meteoritecollectorsassociation_at_yahoogroups.com and save everyone who
couldn't care less about this some trouble.

Rhett Bourland
www.asteroidmodels.com
www.asteroidmodels.com/personal
www.meteoritecollectors.org