[meteorite-list] Weathering Grades

From: Walter Branch <branchw_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:01:29 2004

Hello Bob and List,

>I would assume the "skew toward the lower grades" that
>Walter mentioned is the result of -
>the more a meteorite is weathered -
>the more it looks like a terrestrial rock -
>the the harder it would be to recognize it -
>the FEWER there will be found.

Perhaps worldwide, but I would not assume this for the NWA region,
considering the number of terrestrial rocks to be found in this region.

Here would be a good question for NWA meteorite dealers. How often are you
presented with terrestrial NWA meteorwrongs for purchase?

>But, here is a better reason -
>Since the weathering grade is based upon the interior
>condition of a stony meteorite, the high percentage of
>the total of meteorites that come from DRY (Hot &
>Cold) Deserts will drive this "skew toward the lower
>grades".

Yes, which is why I was so interested in the comparison statistics (although
I do note a slight lower weathering bias in the non-NWA statistics, which
may be explained by your observations above).

There may not enough data to make meaningful conclusions but I would REALLY
LIKE to see a breakdown by world geographical regions. For example,
climates more conducive to the preservation (e.g., southwest US) of
meteorite vs. those less favorable to meteorite preservation (e.g.,
southeast US).

Bernd?

-Walter

Walter Branch, Ph.D.