[meteorite-list] Sulfide-slag

From: Walter Branch <branchw_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:01:30 2004

Hello Bob, Dave, Troy and Everyone,

Interesting meteorwrong you have there.

In Nininger fashion, I have trained my three year old daughter in the fine
art of examining rocks for possible meteorite candidates and one day last
week, when I picked her up from day care, she handed me this "monster rock:"

http://www.branchmeteorites.com/temp/lbr.jpg

This looks a lot like the lbr/slag which Bob and Troy have noted. I don't
have an image of the inside yet ( I ground it yesterday) but it is not
vesicular, otherwise it looks and lot like your lbr specimen. Glancing at
the interior reveals that it is definitely NOT a meteorite. Although it is
slightly magnetic it is "underweight" for a meteorite.

Now, as to the term "monster rock." There is an old 1950s sci-fi movie
called the Monolith Monsters in which a small town in the California desert
is visited by a meteorite but this meteorite has some rather strange
properties. It grows vertically when exposed to water and eventually
topples and shatters, thus producing more meteorites, which grow when
exposed to water, etc... Also, the meteorites have the menacing property of
removing silicon from human skin, thus turning it human victim to stone.
The whole town is threatened but in the end the local state geologist saves
the day.

It is so corny that I love the movie! My daughter and I call it the
"monster rock" movie and she looks for "monster rocks" wherever she goes.
She loves the movie as much as I do and frequently goes to sleep watching
it!

Rebekah is turning into a 1950's sci-fi film buff, like her dad. Here are
our terms for some other movies we like:

The Creature from the Black Lagoon = monster claw
It Came from Outer Space = monster eye
War of the Worlds = monster desk lamp
etc...

-Walter