[meteorite-list] Lunar Crusts + Portales Valley

From: Mark Fox <unclefireballmtf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:01:32 2004

May 9, 2002

Greetings Meteorite Enthusiasts!

In trying to ferret out the answer as to why there are
vesicles on at least some lunar meteorites, I have
come up with a question that may hold the vital clue:

"Are there other meteorite types documented with
vesicles on their crusts?" If there are, perhaps
other list members will get my hint on how this whole
mystery can be solved.

In any event, I also have two questions regarding the
very interesting meteorite, Portales Valley. I have
been "noodling" the question of its mysterious
formation too and would like enlightenment on...

1. Is there any brecciation present at all in observed
pieces and/or do the "current" large metal areas look
as if they were formed through "peaceful" processes?

2. If one were to isolate a chunk of one of the more
larger metal areas in Portales Valley, etch it, and
then proceed to have it classified as a separate
meteorite, what would you think it would be classified
as?

I am not done pondering meteorites yet!

Long strewn fields!

Mark Fox