[meteorite-list] Esterville Meteorite Newspaper Article

From: Mark Bostick <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:01:32 2004

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C21004.F01C5F20

Hello Everybody,=20

I recently purchased another 1800 newspaper with a cool meteorite fall =
article. It is the Cuba Patriot, Friday, June 13, 1879 and it mentions =
the Esterville meteorite fall. Not sure if there is interested in copies =
of this let me know and I'll put in on my things to do list. The article =
does have a small stain so they wouldn't come out that great. I still =
have copies of the Weston Newspaper article so if you wanted a free copy =
and didn't notice when I offered copies last month let me know. If =
anyone has any Peekskill newspapers, or any other meteorite fall =
newspapers, for trade or sell please let me know.=20

Guess thats about it....:-)

Mark Bostick "The Big Collector"

Newspaper article in the Cuba Patriot, Friday, June 13, 1879=20

The Meteor That fell in Iowa

One Fragment weighing 431 Pounds Embedded 14 Feet in the Earth

>From the Chicago Tribune

Esterville, Emmet Co. Iowa, May 14 -On the 10th inst, a meteor fell in =
this place. The sun was shining, and only the occasionally a fleecy =
cloud was visible, when far up in mid-air there was a loud report =
resembling the dischange of a cannon, only louder, followed soon by =
another resembling a heavy blastm which was follwed by one or two more =
reports that might have been an echo of the first; then, for a minute or =
so, there was a rumbling sound, seemingly passing from north-east to =
southwest.

About two miles north, Mr. Charles Ega was at work planting corn when =
the explosion came. Looking in the direction of the report, he could not =
see anything on account of the sun, but, following with his eye the =
direction of the roaring sound that followed, he saw earth thrown to =
some height in the edge of a ravine ahundred rods or so to the =
north-northeast of where he was at work.

Mr. John Barber reports a simular appearence a hundred rods or so =
further in the same direction. S. W. Brown, who lives three-forths of a =
mile north of here, was in the edge of the timber looking in a =
northwesterly direction being quartering to the sun; he saw a red spark, =
and was looking attentively at it when the explosion came. He says that =
when it burst there was a cloud of smoke at the head of the red streak, =
which rushing forth like the smoke from a cannon's mouth, and then =
spread in ever direction.

On the edge of the ravine a hole was found twelve feet in diameter and =
about 6 feet deep, which was full of water. Parties has since, by =
untiring labor and search, found numerous pieces varying in size from =
one to eight ounces, also four pieces about four pounds, and one =
weighing thrity-two pounds and two ounces, but the largest was found =
bedded eight feet in blue clay and fully fourteen from the surface. Its =
weight was 431 pounds. It was two feet long by one and one-half wide, =
and one foot or so thick, with ragged uneven surface. It is composed =
apparently of nearly pure metal of some kind, resembling silver somewhat =
but a trifle darker

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C21004.F01C5F20

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><FONT size=3D2>
<P>Hello Everybody, </P>
<P>I recently purchased another 1800 newspaper with a cool meteorite =
fall=20
article. It is the Cuba Patriot, Friday, June 13, 1879 and it mentions =
the=20
Esterville meteorite fall. Not sure if&nbsp;there is interested in =
copies of=20
this let me know and I'll put in on my things to do list. The article =
does have=20
a small stain so they wouldn't come out that great. I still have copies =
of the=20
Weston Newspaper article so if you wanted a free copy and didn't notice =
when I=20
offered copies last month let me know. If anyone has any Peekskill =
newspapers,=20
or any other meteorite fall newspapers, for trade or sell please let me =
know.=20
</P>
<P>Guess thats about it....:-)</P>
<P>Mark Bostick "The Big Collector"</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>Newspaper article in the Cuba Patriot, Friday, June 13, 1879 </P>
<P>The Meteor That fell in Iowa</P>
<P>One Fragment weighing 431 Pounds Embedded 14 Feet in the Earth</P>
<P>From the Chicago Tribune</P>
<P>Esterville, Emmet Co. Iowa, May 14 -On the 10th inst, a meteor fell =
in this=20
place. The sun was shining, and only the occasionally a fleecy cloud was =

visible, when far up in mid-air there was a loud report resembling the =
dischange=20
of a cannon, only louder, followed soon by another resembling a heavy =
blastm=20
which was follwed by one or two more reports that might have been an =
echo of the=20
first; then, for a minute or so, there was a rumbling sound, seemingly =
passing=20
from north-east to southwest.</P></FONT>
<P><FONT size=3D2><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">About two miles north, =
Mr. Charles=20
Ega was at work planting corn when the explosion came. Looking in the =
direction=20
of the report, he could not see anything on account of the sun, but, =
following=20
with his eye the direction of the roaring sound that followed, he saw =
earth=20
thrown to some height in the edge of a ravine ahundred rods or so to the =

north-northeast of where he was at work.</FONT></P></FONT>
<P><FONT size=3D2><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">Mr. John Barber reports =
a simular=20
appearence a hundred rods or so further in the same direction. S. W. =
Brown, who=20
lives three-forths of a mile north of here, was in the edge of the =
timber=20
looking in a northwesterly direction being quartering to the sun; he saw =
a red=20
spark, and was looking attentively at it when the explosion came. He =
says that=20
when it burst there was a cloud of smoke at the head of the red streak, =
which=20
rushing forth like the smoke from a cannon's mouth, and then spread in =
ever=20
direction.</FONT></P>
<P>On the edge of the ravine a hole was found twelve feet in diameter =
and about=20
6 feet deep, which was full of water. Parties has since, by untiring =
labor and=20
search, found numerous pieces varying in size from one to eight ounces, =
also=20
four pieces about four pounds, and one weighing thrity-two pounds and =
two=20
ounces, but the largest was found bedded eight feet in blue clay and =
fully=20
fourteen from the surface. Its weight was 431 pounds. It was two feet =
long by=20
one and one-half wide, and one foot or so thick, with ragged uneven =
surface. It=20
is composed apparently of nearly pure metal of some kind, resembling =
silver=20
somewhat but a trifle darker</P></FONT></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C21004.F01C5F20--