[meteorite-list] First Ureilite in my collection

From: Martin Horejsi <martinh_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:01:32 2004

Bernd kindly wrote:

> I just received my very first ureilite, Dhofar 132. It weighs in at
> a whopping 9 grams

Hi Bernd,

Congratulations on your wonderful new specimen. Not only are urelites an
exciting and rare achondrite, but you got it for only $14 a gram!

I always wished that ureilites had been named after Harold Urey instead of
their type specimen. I think Urey should be honored with meteorite as odd as
the ureilite given his contributions to the field, and especially to his
graduate students who, while not following Urey's own train of thought, took
meteorite science to the next (and necessary) level.

Cheers,

Martin